”Paunci” dam and HPP are planned in the upper part of the Drina River course, at the chainage km 314+593, between the planned upstream “Foča” HPP and the planned downstream “Ustikolina” HPP. The location belongs to the municipality of Paunci and the nearest town is Foča.
By construction of the “Paunci” HPP will be created a storage that reaches up to the mouth of the Ćehotina River into the Drina River, i.e. up to the town of Foča.
Profile hydrological properties
Basic profile hydrological properties (as given in the original technical documentation) are:
- Mean discharge: 201.43 m3/s,
- Ecological flow: 30.2 m3/s (Q95%) and
- Flood discharge referent for design of spillways: 5,079 m3/s (Q0.1, 95% confidence interval).
Basic dam properties are:
- Type: concrete, gravity,
- Crest elevation: 387 m.a.s.l.,
- Height: 32.00m (construction height),
- Total length along the crest: 232.40 m (approximate),
- Width at the crest: 8.00 m,
- Storage evacuation structures: gated spillway and
- Total evacuation capacity: 5,079 m3/s.
Basic storage properties are:
- Regular water level: 384 m.a.s.l.,
- Maximum water level: 386 m.a.s.l.,
- Minimum operating water level: 381.5 m.a.s.l.,
- Total volume: 5.00 million m3,
- Active volume: 2.50 million m3,
- Inactive volume: 2.50 million m3 and
- Total length: approximately 7.7 km.
The plant belongs to the non-diversion type.
Basic HPP/powerhouse properties are:
- Plant type: non-diversion, run-off-river,
- Unit type: bulb (Kaplan),
- Number of units: 3,
- Installed discharge: 2 x 200 + 50 = 450 m3/s,
- Tailrace water level: 372.50 m.a.s.l.,
- Gross head: 11.50 m,
- Head loss: 0.50 m,
- Net head: 11.00 m,
- Installed power: 43.21 MW and
- Mean annual electricity generation: 166.90 GWh.
The smallest unit is intended to run on ecological flow.
Source: IWRM Country Report for B&H, COWI, Stucky and Jaroslav Cerni Water Institute, 2017